Cycling Across The Tibetan Plateau
Spring 2019

Where Lucille has been for the past 24 hours.

Wednesday, May 29, 2019

May 29 - Day 25 Kalikastahn to Kathmandu

Our last day of cycling...where did the time go?  Seems like just yesterday I was sitting in my tent, looking over the itinerary thinking we still had 12 cycling days left and wondering how I was going to do it.  And today we are all done.  Ox has been running this trip for 12 years, 60+ trips, and I'm the first woman to complete the entire trip!!!!

Today was particularly difficult because for  most of the day it was 42C!  Very hot and that was during the entire climb.  There were a few tears shed, and a few cuss words used, but I got it done.   It helped that the boys never complained about how slow I was, and today the youngest member of the team, American David came back and cycled a few km with me, encouraging me and telling me that he was not going to let me ride in the van....just the boost that I needed at the time.

When we got to the top there was a bit of rain to cool us off, and make the steep descent very treacherous, but everyone made it down in one piece...the next obstacle was navigating the traffic in Kathmandu without losing anyone which is not easy feat when there really aren't any traffic laws.  Motorcycles and scooters crowd around the vehicles and funnel ahead so we did the same thing.  It was crazy traffic but once again we made it with the team and bicycles intact!!!

We had a great farewell dinner and tomorrow starting at 0600 everyone will depart except for me and Bernie...we are both staying one extra day.  Not sure what I'll do yet...but I will find something to keep us entertained.


Today begins with a steep descent of just under 1,000m over a distance of 15km. We continue to follow the Trishuli river downhill for a further 17 km before challenging a final monster climb of over 1,000m 34km, then its downhill for the final 22km into Kathmandu. Tonight, we will gather together to celebrate the end of our epic journey. In the evening we get together for that all important and well-deserved celebratory meal!





Accommodation: Hotel
Maximum Altitude:   2,205m
Sleeping Altitude:    1,314m
Distance:          76km

No comments: