Cycling Across The Tibetan Plateau
Spring 2019

Where Lucille has been for the past 24 hours.

Friday, May 24, 2019

May 24 - Day 20: Tingri to the Base of Lalung La

Today was a short day...only 60ish kms and mostly flat.  I wasn't feeling great this morning so I headed off ahead of the group.  It's my little game of whether or not I can get to the tea spot before getting caught.  I didn't realize that the group plays the same game...can they catch me before the snack spot.  The road was undulating and there was a bit of a headwind...and every time they saw me on the hill, they didn't think they would catch me!!!  Well I made it without getting caught.

Mornings are always a special time for me...it's much more peaceful.  I say I'm going off ahead so that I don't slow down the group, which is true but I also like some time alone which only works if I'm ahead.  Once someone passes me it's not the same.

I had a great view of shishapagma ahead of me for the part of the cycle, and behind me was a view of Everest and I think Cho Oyu, but they were in the misty clouds so not a great view.  All three are 8000 m peaks, and I've dreamt of climbing the other two, so all are very special to me.

We have also been seing there old earthen dwellings.  They are from the 18th century when they were destroyed by the gherka's.  At that time China intervened and helped the Tibetans push them back to Nepal.
Ancient Dwellings
Most of the villages we are seeing are all new, and every house looks the same.  Not sure if the villages have been rebuilt because they were destroyed of if China has built the villages and has moved people into them involuntarily.

Our Tibetan guide and driver will not be allowed to cross the border into Nepal with us...I suspect because they do not have the correct permission.  So complicated.

Ok, I'm off to shower...Ox had a tent set up with a large stone to stand on.  We are given a bucket of warm water, a pitcher and some privacy.  After four days of camping the bucket of water is such a treat!!!

Another big treat...Ox made a BBQ for us, marinated pork and potatoes over a large steel plate heated by propane.  So good and I ate so much that I couldn't eat my dinner.  Right now it's so windy that the dining tent was threatening to collapse.  It should die down by 0500!!!

Cycling by the river
Today's cycling is predominantly flat, although headwinds may hamper an otherwise comfortable day! The ride will take us through a landscape of monasteries, fortresses and clear mountain rivers.





Accommodation: Camping
Maximum Altitude: 4,563m
Sleeping Altitude: 4,560m
Distance: 62km

No comments: