Cycling Across The Tibetan Plateau
Spring 2019

Where Lucille has been for the past 24 hours.

Monday, May 20, 2019

May 20 - Day 16: Base of Gyatso La to Shregar

What a fabulous day!!!!  For a difficult day it actually wasn't too bad.  25 km uphill to the highest pass on this trip...and then still a long ways to the hotel.  Yes, you read that right.  We were supposed to be camping but Ox surprised us with the treat of a hotel.  The boys will still be cooking dinner and breakfast for us...they are much better cooks than what we get in the restaurants.

We were warned that it would be a cold day...and it certainly was.  Last night was warm, but once we got up I needed my down coat.  I left right after breakfast, about a 15-20 minute head start on everyone else.  The mornings are so peaceful, and when I'm alone I can get the feeling that I'm no part of a group and it's such a great feeling.

The first person overtook me about 5.5 km.  By the time I got to the tea break at the 10km  mark everyone had either arrived before me or shortly after me.  Except Carla who decided to spend the rest of the climb in the van.

The terrain has changed again.  The pass was through a canyon with rocky hills rather than the smooth hills we have seen up till now.  It took me just under 5 hours to cycle 25 km...a long time for sure, but the wind kicked up after the 10 km stop, and the headwind just kept getting stronger and colder the higher we went.  A bit of snow near the top...but Ox said look to your right, there's Shishapagma!!!  It is the shortest of the 8000 m peaks, #14.  I got emotional as this was a peak that at one time I had my eyes on.

Summit.  Note all the prayer flags.
We had a very cold quick decent to the lunch spot, a building where we ate inside out of the wind.  After lunch the next break would be 25 km away.  Some nice downhill, but also some uphill.  We rode as a group of four and then Ox joined us and we were a group of five, everyone taking their turn at the front to break the wind for the others.

Downhill
The tea stop was at the Qomolangma view point, our first view of Everest.  Qomolangma is the Tibetan name for Everest, and its Nepalese name is Sagarmatha.  I couldn't help but get emotional, this is why I came, and there it was, just the tip peaking out behind the hills, not long after we arrived the clouds covered it up, but I managed to get a photo.  Apparently tomorrow we will have two more opportunities to see Everest, and then the day after tomorrow we will be at basecamp.  Exciting times!  I will do my best for photos.  Hope you are enjoying the long weekend and that you had a chance to do something fun!  :)

  
Over my left shoulder back in the haze is Mt. Everest
The day starts with a 25km climb on sealed roads to the highest pass - the Gyatso La (5,253m). You will be rewarded with stunning views of the snow-capped mountains either side of the pass and the offer of a cup of Yak tea from the solitary tent alongside the fluttering prayer flags. We drop down 10km, out of the wind, to our lunch stop. The gradual descent takes through small villages and past Stupas down to the Lolo River. 



Accommodation: Hotel
Maximum Altitude: 5,253m
Sleeping Altitude: 4,408m
Distance: 65.7km

No comments: