Cycling Across The Tibetan Plateau
Spring 2019

Where Lucille has been for the past 24 hours.

Thursday, May 2, 2019

May 1 Pangboche to Jorsalle

May1.  Pangboche to Jorsalle.

Today was a long day, but a great day.  We got up early as the trail gets very dusty and busy with Trekkers.  It's like when you're driving on a gravel road, it's nice to be in the lead!

It was a bit of a long uphill to get to Tengboche and to see the monastery which is also a school for monks.  Dhane showed me the place where they do the cremations and the memorials, the area is just up the hill from the monastery marked with a lot of prayer flags.  We stayed for a bit....it's a very peaceful place.  After that it's a very long steep downhill to the bridge then back up the other side.  Dhane showed me that it's a new bridge only two years old, as the other bridge was destroyed in the earthquake.  The remnants are still there.

Then it's just about an hour to Namche where we shared a piece of birthday cake.  We walk in just off the mountain in our dirty dusty clothes, down jacket and toques and walk into this upscale bakery.  I felt out of place for sure, but it was worth it for birthday cake.  By my calculations it was still my birthday in BC....so Sam and Rob I was thinking of you!!!!


On the way to Namche there were beautiful views of Everest and Ama Dablam...and of course now there are trees and irises and little blue flowers.  It felt like forever to get to Jorsella but it was worth it.  The lady of the house has my favourite violas planted in her front garden!  It's so quiet here with the river behind us, and all the Trekkers done for the day that I could sit in the front and enjoy some quiet time.  Dinner was Dal Bhat with mutton.....four dishes -rice, potatoes, lentil soup and the mutton and then there was two different kinds of relish.  So tasty....it's been such a long time since I've had an appetite.....and to top it all off....wrestling was on TV......American wrestling!!!!  When I went around the room no one would admit to liking what was on but no one was willing to change it!!!!  Hahaha.  Even I was sucked in temporarily!  Second last night on the trail before I head back to Kathmandu.  

No comments: