Cycling Across The Tibetan Plateau
Spring 2019

Where Lucille has been for the past 24 hours.

Thursday, May 9, 2019

May 9 - Day 5: Fly to Lhasa


I have been wanting to visit Tibet and Lhasa for as long as I can remember, and now the day has finally arrived!!!


 A selfie with most of the group at the Kathmandu airport





Everything needs to be packed up and ready for the flight to Lhasa at noon. Apparently the airport is a 2 hour drive into Lhasa, so today will be a long day.  Although we all have our Chinese visas, any one of us may be denied entry for any number of reasons.  I'm glad I didn't buy the book 7 years in Tibet yesterday.  I'll look for a bookstore once we get to Lhasa.

Since we are now at 3514m - we need to give our bodies some time to acclimatize. My days trekking to basecamp will now come in handy - and although I may not be running up the stairs of the Potala Palace I will not be feeling nearly as winded I hope!






This is our hotel in the centre of Lhasa in the Tibetan quarter where there's a large vegetable market and old Tibetan style buildings.  Our hotel is magical!!!!  I'm going to get Ted to pack up all my stuff  because I'm never leaving here!!!!




We spent the day travelling and now we are sitting down for dinner.  Touring tomorrow.





Accommodation: Hotel
Sleeping altitude: 3,514m

No comments: