Cycling Across The Tibetan Plateau
Spring 2019

Where Lucille has been for the past 24 hours.

Monday, May 13, 2019

May 13 - Day 9 - Base of the Khamba La pass to Nakartse


Ok....this is where it gets real.  1200 meter climb over 23 km at altitude.  I was a bit scared to start...but the time has come.  I left 30 minutes before everyone else did as I am slower than most.  I was climbing at a rate of 6km/h and I was feeling ok.  At the 5km point I was caught up by the fast guys...and there was a spot where people had their animals on display and you pay to have a photo with them.  Well I couldn't resist the Tibetan mastiffs.  Such beautiful dogs even though it was quite cheesy.  Most of us met up at the 10km point...there's actually a there so I took a photo here.  When we were cycling the first 10km we couldn't see around the corners but leaving the marker and looking up, we could see the entire remaining climb.  We had two stops on the way up where the support vehicle was waiting for us with tea, cookies, bananas and chocolate.  I made the stops short and just kept on going.  It got steeper and steeper, and after the 17km mark, I was going 4.4 km/h.  Most people passed me, except a few and Carla and I rode together for the last 5 km taking 60 second breaks every km.  Then when we were almost at the final climb it started to hail... only lasted a few minutes and didn't really bother us...and then finally we were at the summit...yeah!!!

Half way up
Summit
 Lunch was 2km downhill with a view of the lake.  A hot lunch...I don't know how they do it-keeping us fed and happy.  After a steep downhill we followed the contour of the lake.  It was flat but with a 30km/h headwind that I was not counting on...this was super challenging, but I made it.  And not the last either!!!!

After the Summit
Today marks the first of our major climbs - 23 km to the Khamba La pass at 4,807m. The climb is eased by recent tarmac surfacing of the road, but it will still be a tough day's cycling as our bodies continue to adapt to the high altitudes. You will be rewarded for your exertions on this morning's challenging climb with the sight of the stunning, turquoise waters of the Yamdrok Tso (lake), this is a sacred lake to Buddhists. You will also be treated to views of the snow-capped Nazin Kang Sa (7,252m) in the distance. We now make a fast descent (500 m) to the lake below and onto the Tibetan plateau. We will stop for lunch after about 5km. This afternoon we complete the last 38 km into camp along flat but tough terrain.

Accommodation: Camping
Maximum Altitude: 4,807m
Sleeping Altitude: 4,296m
Distance: 73.5km

No comments: