Cycling Across The Tibetan Plateau
Spring 2019

Where Lucille has been for the past 24 hours.

Saturday, May 25, 2019

May 25 - Day 21: Base of Lalung La to Paiku Tso Lake

This was supposed to be another short and easy day, and it was until lunch time.  I headed off early, but only about 15 minutes early because Ox wanted us to regroup at 8 km because there was a junction there.

When I left it was very cold...and I wished that I had put on my thin down under all my layers, and worn double gloves, although I doubt that would have kept my hands warm.  After the junction we were no longer surrounded by hills, but more in a very wide valley, which gave the sun a chance to warm us up.

A few kilometres down the road and we had an excellent view of Shishapagma, the 14th highest peak in the world, and the shortest of the 8000 metre peaks.  Although we were still quite a few kilometres away, we had a spectacular view.

Shishapagma
We had lunch around 44 km into our ride, and the little bit of wind that we had getting to the lunch spot died down while we ate.  Today lunch was soup and then an egg roll with a mushroom mixture.  All served hot.  I don't know how they do it.  Then, the best was a piece of watermelon to finish it off!

We still had 22 km to cycle and just a few km down the road is when the wind started.  When we had a headwind, if I stopped cycling while going downhill, it would almost push me back up.  Then when it turned to a side wind our bikes were leaned quite far into the wind.  The scary part was when we would be passed by a big truck, that's when our bikes would weave around on their own.  We just had to let them to their thing and not try to control it too much.

We are camped by a lake, and will be eating indoors tonight, which has saved the boys from putting up the dining tent, the cook tent and several of our tents as about half of the group has chosen to sleep inside tonight.  I'm in a tent and I'm really hoping the wind settles down or I won't be getting any sleep tonight!

We are surrounded by some beautiful mountains, and we are camped near Paiku Tso lake, but it's so windy that I have only taken a few pictures today.

I did not have good service yesterday, so will try to update yesterday's pictures if the service here is better.  

Support Vehicle
We begin the day with a steep 155m climb up over the Lalung La Pass, heading west for the rest of the day on undulating terrain all the way to our camp at the beautiful Paiku Tso Lake.  Surrounded by towering mountains on three sides, numerous small streams drain into the lake. There are wild birds and horses in the surrounding area. This area is one of Tibet’s magical spots with stunning views of the snowcapped Shiishapangma(8,012m) the only 8,000m peak situated wholly with Tibet and the Langtang range bordering Nepal to the south.





Accommodation: Camping
Maximum Altitude: 5,149m
Sleeping Altitude: 3,775m
Distance: 88km

No comments: