Cycling Across The Tibetan Plateau
Spring 2019

Where Lucille has been for the past 24 hours.

Thursday, May 23, 2019

May 23 - Day 19: Rongbuk to Tingri

This was one long and challenging day!  We were given a 30 minute later breakfast and start today...yeah!  Most of the day was on a gravel road.  Rough with large rocks....it started off uphill, where I was the only one going 8-10 km/h.  It ended up being mostly uphill for 18 kms, with only slight downhills.  Just when I thought we were done with the uphill, I would turn the corner and see another one, and another one and...well you know, more uphill.

Then the downhill started... on an extremely washboard gravel road.  There was no way to avoid it.  My glasses almost vibrated off my face, and my forearms are so sore!  I tried cycling faster but then I would get caught in some soft sand that would throw my bike around.

44kms of this nonsense and we were back on paved road...except now we had a strong headwind for the first 6 kms until we made a 180 degree left turn into...yup, a headwind.  We were a group of six, doing a rotation, all taking turns at the front, except they kept skipping me...until I insisted I take my turn, but then they would call me off after only a few minutes.  At one point we had a side gust that almost blew us off our bikes...and the headwind that just pushed against us almost stopping us in our tracks.

A tough end to a long day...but right now I'm sitting in my tent, after a little wash and a change of clothing, biscuits and hot tang and I'm ready to go again...well once the wind dies down!  Maybe I'll just wait for tomorrow :)






This morning we cycle back down the valley, retracing our tracks from the previous day. For the more technically minded riders there are some excellent sections of stone single track, with Everest in the background!  We continue with a superb off-road ride on smooth mountain tracks, interspersed with some very rocky rough sections that will provide a challenge even to our hardy support vehicles.  We cross the Lama La Pass, at 5101m before descending on a mixture of rough sections of road, mixed with free-flowing dirt tracks and stream crossings on into the barren plains ahead of Tingri. Here we rejoin the Friendship Highway cycling to our camp just outside the town.





Accommodation: Camping
Maximum Altitude: 5,168m
Sleeping Altitude: 4,355m
Distance: 79km


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can only imagine how emotional this journey must be for you Lucille. I am also so glad that once again you are sharing this experience with us. Stay safe and hope to see you on June 1st!! :)
Claudia