Cycling Across The Tibetan Plateau
Spring 2019

Where Lucille has been for the past 24 hours.

Sunday, May 19, 2019

May 19 - Day 15: Base of the Tso La pass to Base of Gyatso La

Today was a great day!!!  It helped that it was a shorter and easier day.  Breakfast was a bit delayed this morning because the cook slept in!  After breakfast we did a group ride for the first 10km to the base of the pass.  The pass itself was short - only 6km.  My speed was mostly 5-6km/h for the way up...so that was good.  This is the first time in five days that everyone was cycling so that was good.

At the top of the pass, the Chinese tourists were quite interested in us and our bikes.  They took a lot of photos of us, and photos of themselves with us.  Two ladies took my bike and posed with it.  I thought that it was a bit forward of them to just take my bike and pretend to ride it...without even asking....they just took it.  Strange.

Top of the pass

The sign says Dixie band but we think Abba


5000 km from somewhere???

We had a steep downhill but there was so much traffic....about 30 cars passed me and then would put on their brakes because at the head of the line was a big truck holding everyone up.  We all made it down safely...and then it was lunch.  Soup, hot chicken pasta and fried spinach.  Very nourishing meal.  I keep trying to ask for half portions but I don't always get it...so I went directly to the guy dishing it up...but he was very reluctant to remove any food from my plate!!!

20kms later and we arrived at our campsite...no trees because we are so high up, but green grass.  There were several children so I pulled out the small balls that I had purchased and brought from home and many in the group took turns playing catch with them.

Playing with the kids
Since we arrived at camp early, it was still warm and not too windy, we all got showers!  So much better than the baby wipes I've been using when we are camping.

I had such a good day!  I'm trying not to look ahead to tomorrow which I kno will be a bit of a suffer-fest.  But that's tomorrow, and as Ox says "tomorrow never comes"!!!!

A steady 8km climb takes us to the Tso La pass (4,580m), followed by a fast downhill descent of 425m over 29 km, and a flat stretch into Lhatse. Lhatse is reminiscent of a Wild West frontier town; children here are both friendly and inquisitive and not afraid to interact with us strangely dressed cyclists! We head out of Lhatse and into the Chusar Chu valley, where we camp at a very picturesque spot along the riverside.



Accommodation: Camping
Maximum Altitude: 4,533m
Sleeping Altitude: 4,145m
Distance: 64.5km

1 comment:

Ekim said...

Sounds like you had a good day. Wow. A shower, this is a real luxury filled trip. Well, except for all the peddling of course.