Cycling Across The Tibetan Plateau
Spring 2019

Where Lucille has been for the past 24 hours.

Tuesday, May 14, 2019

May 14 - Day 10: Nakartse to Lungmar

May 14 - I'm having fun!!!! Yesterday was a bit of work but today was fabulous.  We all left as a group this morning and stayed as a group until lunch.  We cycled by the lake for the first bit and then we were by the river.  The mountains are brown and we are above the treeline...just a bit of scrub brush grows here.



Lunch spot
After lunch we were down four members.  The couple from Spain are heading off to Shightse early as he's not feeling well.  And the two Kiwi's are also not feeling well so they rode in the van for the rest of the day.

After lunch was the big climb, and I heard Ox - our leader - say that it was 15km long.  It was much steeper than yesterday and all I could manage was 4.4 km/h.  Ughhh!!!!  Can I do this for three hours?  Head down and just grind it out.  After 3km I took a short break - about 2 minutes and off I went again.  Then about 3km later I saw prayer flags....lots of them...yeah, I'm at the summit!!!


Summit

A few photos and it was downhill to the campsite.  The tents were all set up for us and the boys were trying to put up the dining tent in what felt like hurricane force winds!  I helped as best I could, and once it was up, the winds died down!  The views of the people and terrain are amazing...I've gotten quite good at taking photos while cycling so I do have lots of photos and will do my best to upload them for you.



As we leave our camp today on the tarmac road we head west and climb to cross the Karo La (5032m). The first of the passes above 5000m, this is a challenging but enjoyable ride to the top of the pass, from where you will see an imposing glacier. Karo La is where Francis Younghusband fought a battle with Tibetans in 1903 to reach Lhasa.



Accommodation: Camping
Maximum Altitude: 5032m
Sleeping Altitude: 4516m
Distance: 52.1km

No comments: