Cycling Across The Tibetan Plateau
Spring 2019

Where Lucille has been for the past 24 hours.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010


Namaste everyone. I am now safe in Kathmandu. We got up at 0530 to be ready to fly out of Lukla at 0730. The airport is crazy with everyone milling around with backpacks on and large duffle bags. I had two large duffle bags of equipment, and when I approached the counter I was told that there would only be room for one, and I had to pick which one it was going to be. My reply was "I need BOTH of them". Heads were shaking, and I was told only one.....and why did I have so much stuff with me? Did I really need it all......my reply was......"I was on Everest, and yes I needed it ALL". Well Khaji worked his magic, and they both got on, seperate aircrafts but they both showed up in Kathmandu.

We decided that we would treat ourselves to a good hotel, so we checked into the Yak and Yeti, and even before dropping off our bags we headed to the breakfast buffet. 4 plates each later, (well the buffet closed before we could get a 5th plate!!!) we started to unpack in the room. Domhnall only has one bag, but my stuff is strewn about the place. After a 30 minute shower we met up with a friend, Natalie who was on the south side before our summit push, then went to the North side with her sister while we were on the mountain. She is planning to climb Everest with her sister next year so went to basecamps on both sides to check it out.
This is us enjoying some pre-lunch treats. We are feeling human again, and are glad for the luxuries of running water and sit down toilets, and the good food, and feeling warm all the time and, and, and! We are of course thinking obout our friends still on the mountain, and wish them all well.

No comments: