Cycling Across The Tibetan Plateau
Spring 2019

Where Lucille has been for the past 24 hours.

Friday, May 7, 2010

Mt. Everest 2010 #45 - I did summit and everything's good!

Gabcast! Mt. Everest 2010 #45




Namaste everybody from Camp 2.

Sorry about the delay in ?? I tried to do that about 12 hours ago, I think I talked a bit too long.

Anyways, as most of you know, I did summit and everything's good. I'm feeling good now. I had a few issues. What happened was we got to Camp 4, Domhnall and I got there together, ate and drank and hydrated and stuff for about 5-6 hours. Got up at about 6 o'clock in the evening we got everything ready and ready to go by 7:30 and so headed up. I think I knew this but it is completely uphill: there is no relief, no traversing, the whole time it's uphill and so we started off, but at least it's in the dark, so you don't really know how much uphill it is and it's pretty straight uphill. So headed up. I was feeling pretty tired. I hadn't eaten a whole lot the day before, on the way to Camp 4. No breakfast, no drinking, so I was a little bit low on fuel. I was feeling quite tired and kind of slowed down the group.

When we got to the summit, we got to the South Summit just as the sun was rising so that was really nice. After the South Summit, it still took us a couple of hours to get to the real summit. The Hillary Step was a little bit interesting, not too bad, and then of course the summit ridge, which was long! And then you get to the top and all of a sudden, all of a sudden you're there! The view was the peaks of the mountains and a fair bit of clouds covering probably below 5000 metres. But it was beautiful up there, really, really nice. We didn't spend a lot of time up there. We took off our oxygen and my big mistake is that I shut off my oxygen and so it was frozen. So my sherpa, Tshering, was very nice and gave me his oxygen but then his mask was way too big. So after Domhnall and I kind of split up; he headed down 'cause the forecast was really nasty weather and we were trying to get down and quickly as we could. So I took off my oxygen mask and within, we were still pretty high we were about the South Summit. It didn't take very long that I didn't have any energy at all: I didn't want to stand up. So, we had a lot of fresh snow which made the climb up kind of difficult and long but so what I started doing was sliding down, and I've kind of torn up my seat. My poor sherpa Tshering didn't really know what to do. Tried to mount up a rescue but I was still talking, coherent, just didn't have much energy, and so eventually I put the oxygen mask back on and started walking down. We did some sliding, the both of us together, because it is so much faster than walking down. Anyways, we made it down, we made it down to the South Col where the other sherpa ?? met up with us and then we made it all the way down to Camp 2 last night. So it was a long way, a long day, a couple long days but certainly well worth it!


I want to thank everyone, everyone who's supported me, everyone who's encouraged me, everyone who's made comments on my blog, just everything. I don't know when I'm coming home. I'll probably be changing my ticket 'cause I'm coming home earlier than early June but we'll see. I'd love to stick around and see how the rest of my team does but I don't know how much longer I want to be staying here staying away from home.

I will continue to make podcasts, for the next, probably the next week or so and keep you up to date and maybe some more tidbits and about what happened. Keep listening.

Love to you all, take care. Bye.


(Ted) Unfortunately, the Spot tracking got turned off accidentally at the South Summit, causing many of us to worry a bit.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH Lucille!! It's so good to hear your voice. You have captivated so many of us and we can't wait to see you and hug you and have you tell us many many stories!

We love you...stay safe and we will see you soon.

Jackie & Bernie

Anonymous said...

It's so good to hear your voice after not being able to track you on "spot" for sooo long. Congratulations again - and really, what's an accomplishment without a little drama? But I'm so glad to hear you're safe and sound and all your fingers are where they are meant to be.

Big hugs for you and Domnhall too!
Stephanie O

Anonymous said...

"People do not decide to become extraordinary. They decide to accomplish extraordinary things.”
Edmund Hillary

Lucille--you are one of the most extra-extra-extra-ordinary human beings I've had the great privilege to know. When you set your your mind to something...look out world.

We've been watching your progress from here in Suburbia every day and cheering right along with you. It's a real inspiration to watch you on your adventure. Many times recently I've thought to myself, "...if Lucille can climb Everest, surely I can make it to the grocery store and back with a toddler...".

Heartfelt congratulations on reaching your goal. And, Willy would have wanted me to tell you, "Chicks Rule!".

With admiration and awe,

Delona

Oh, and thanks again for introducing me to my husband (it's our 6th anniversary tomorrow!).

shauna said...

Congrats on your "massive" accomplishment. I can't wait to see pictures and I'm going to spend the entire weekend living vicariously through your podcasts. Shauna Bishop

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Lucille! What an amazing journey you have had. I hope you have a great descent and safe travels home.
Gillian

Anonymous said...

Oh Lucille
! you crazey girl! I am so glad you are ok and after reading/listening to your gabcast, i am soooooo glad you are ok! Take care, Love you, hope to see you in the not too distant future. Love Annette

Anonymous said...

you have become my eight year old hero, hid name is Dexter and has decided to write a story about your adventure, I work with your brother -in -law Don in Vegreville, I will forward Dexters
story to him so you can read it. Congrats on your quest to reach the stars
Blaine F

Barb A said...

Here I am sitting in my cozy home. I had a good long hot shower this morning and honestly I had a tinge of guilt because I thought about the last time you had a good long hot shower and wondered how you endured the cold. Looking so forward to seeing you and hearing about your travels. Your voice sounds tired but still exhilarated. Keep safe coming the rest of the way down.

Anonymous said...

Beloved Lucille I am so glad you made it back safely to Camp 2! Your courage and determination has been an inspiration to all of us! I want to thank you and Ted for making it possible for all of us to be a part of your journey to the Everest summit. I learned a lot along the way and look forward to when you get back home so I can see your pictures and learn more about your climb. I will keep posted to your blog these coming days. Heal up & keep safe and warm. YOU DID IT! WAY TO GO! Love and Hugs to both you and Ted.
Shawna

CindyT said...

Lucille - nothing profound to say - just that I am so so glad your adventure to the top of the world has turned out so well! Give Tshering Sherpa a HUGE HUG from me for making sure you got up AND came down in one piece! Your strength and courage are incredible! Get lots of rest, take good care of yourself and now truly ENJOY your amazing accomplishment. God Bless you my friend! Love & Hugs

Miriam said...

Lucille - I just listened to your lovely voice - tired but lovely just the same - and wanted to tell you again how much I admire your drive to go for your dreams! So many of us have dreams that never come to fruition because of fear or a lack of belief in ourselves. You've shown us all that if we just believe and dig a little deeper we can achieve great things. God bless and big HUG.

Jim H Okotoks said...

Lucille and Ted - what an outstanding effort - I am so pleased for both of you.It's grit and determination personified!I hope that I will get an opportunity to hear your story in person.
Jim Hansen Aconcagua 2009

JaneStyles said...

It is so good to hear your voice from Camp 2 and I can't wait for you to come back to work to hug you. I know you will be swarmed by everyone at the base with love, and adoration. We didn't get much work done the day you were summiting. That day our jobs were to follow you. Congratulations and well done! Love and hugs, Janie

Unknown said...

Lucille, my brave and determined sister! I am so happy for you!!! I just can't stop crying from being happy, relieved, and thinking about the adventure you have been through. Words just can't explain how grateful I am to have been able to follow along with you and your dream. We can't wait to see you in person and hear your many stories about the people and places you have experienced. When you talk about your climbs and adventures you light up and spread such joy! I'm looking forward to hugging you soon! Safe and warm trip home to us! Love Laura, Ron, and kids.

Anonymous said...

Lucille

You ROCK!

Way to go!!!!!

Your old hang gliding buddy

Ward Clapham
Vancouver BC