Cycling Across The Tibetan Plateau
Spring 2019

Where Lucille has been for the past 24 hours.

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mt. Everest 2010 #47

Gabcast! Mt. Everest 2010 #47


Namaste everybody from Base Camp. This is May 9th and it's been a couple of days since we summited and it really starting to sink in now.

I've been looking at the pictures, fantastic pictures. I'm leaving Base Camp tomorrow morning, so May 10th. It's a little hard to think about it, the team, everyone's still here, everyone's still kind of hoping that they're going to get a good weather window just like I did. And so, we're leaving tomorrow and I should be able to upload some summit pictures, of Domhnall and myself, probably in the next 24 hours so have a look for that. There are some fantastic pictures! You have a view of the weather, perfect weather conditions, nice and warm. So as it stands now, Domhnall and I are the only two westerners to have summited Everest so far this year. It looks like the next weather window is going to be somewhere around the 18th or the 20th. There's a possibility that there might be a short, very short, weather window a little sooner than that but it looks like the next summit will be around the 18th or the 20th and that's sort of what all the teams are kind of gearing up for. I wish everybody success and safety up on the mountain.

It looks like I might be coming home somewhere around the 16th-we'll sort of see if there's time to sort out tickets and ?? and stuff. We're going to be heading down to Namche tomorrow. which is going to be a huge, huge day. Probably twelve hours of walking for me maybe a little bit more. I have a few blisters on my toes and so, from the summit day of course, and so ?? tomorrow and the following day is a little bit shorter from Namche to Lukla. I know that Mike is on Labouche right now. I'm wishing him success and hopefully they get nice weather. They're a little bit lower down and so hopefully the jet stream won't be bothering them. I don't know if he is going to be coming to Base Camp. I am going to be missing him. So it's kind of too bad: we're both in Nepal at the same time and we're going to miss each other.

I'm just getting a little anxious to be getting home. I've been missing a few of the luxuries like a mirror. I haven't look at myself for probably five weeks now, almost six weeks. ?? So look for some pictures in probably the next 24 hours or so. We start ?? pictures, I'll do my best to upload and if not, then I'll do it when I get to Kathmandu which will be in two days from now. So everyone take care. Talk to you all and thanks again to everyone for your support. Your well wishes and the congratulations that I've received. It's really been great. So we'll see you all soon and everyone take care and bye.

8 comments:

JaneStyles said...

Lucille: Oh my goodness, you may be home sooner! I hope you will share your pictures with the STARS crew. We can't wait. Jackie D made sure that the Journal did an update article on you now that you have fulfilled your dream. It appeared on Saturday. Can't wait to hug ya. Lots of cuddles Janie

Raylene said...

Lucille! Nice little article in the Edmonton Journal Sunday May 9th. Taken from your blog, so I imagine theywere following along with the rest of us! GWRRA breakfast this morning and everyone was so excited about your trip to the summit! See you soon, either via your pictures or IN PERSON!!!!

Anonymous said...

Big Smiles and Congrats from everyone here on the 12th floor at TELUS. We are all so happy for you. See you soon.

Unknown said...

Sure you may have summited Everest, but the Grouse Grind still awaits you here in Vancouver ;) Let me know when you are stopping through and if you need a place to stay for a night, we always have some room.

cindyt said...

Lucille - I think we are all just as anxious for you to be home as you are! SOOO looking forward to seeing you again, viewing all your pics, and hearing all about your wonderful adventure! Take good care my friend! BIG HUGS!

Anonymous said...

Lucille,
Wishing you a safe trip home, I am not sure what I will read with my morning coffee now!!!
I can't wait to see your pictures and hear all the stories.
Congrats again!!!!

Tracey K

sharon laing said...

I was away from a computer for a few days just after I read the news that you had reached the summit. So I was anxious to know that you had made it down okay too. So glad to hear the you did. I am just so impressed and excited for you. The pictures are amazing! Great job Lucille!!

Paul Engels said...

Congratulations Lucille and Domhnall!! Extremely impressive--glad you did it safely and soundly! Wishing you both all the best.