Cycling Across The Tibetan Plateau
Spring 2019

Where Lucille has been for the past 24 hours.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

How much equipment do you have to take with you?

A student from the grade 6 Logos class asks: How much equipment do you have to take with you?

I have about 35kg of equipment with me at base camp.

The most important is the footwear. I have two pairs of boots, one pair of mountaineering boots that I use when I am ice climbing in the mountains in Banff or Jasper. I have a second pair of boots that I will only use for summit day that should be warm enough with the installed foot warmers.

I will attach crampons to these boots, which will allow me to walk on ice without slipping and falling. It will be a challenge to cross the ladders on the ice fall with the crampons on, but I was practicing at home before I left, and my balance really improved.

I will carry an ice axe which I can use as a walking stick, and in case I am sliding down a hill I can use it to arrest my fall.

I will be wearing a climbing helmet to protect my head in case of any ice falling down. I wear a harness which I will use to attach myself to the ropes that are placed on the mountian. I have special goggles to prevent any rays of the sun to reach my eyes.

A jumar is an ascender that I clip onto the rope, and allows me to move it up, but catches thus not allowing me to move it down unless I remove it.

My down suite is the last important piece of equipment, which is what will keep me warm on summit day.

2 comments:

Renee said...

Lookin hot in that suit Lucille! (Pun intended)

lynnb said...

Watching you every day, my friend.