Cycling Across The Tibetan Plateau
Spring 2019

Where Lucille has been for the past 24 hours.

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Do you know anyone who has done this before?

Namaste everyone!!!! This is a common greating here in Nepal, and it almost sounds like 'have a nice day'. There are several different meaning for the greeting Namaste, but my favourite one is 'the light within me greets the light within you'.
Yesterday I ran into Dawa and he told me that the exterior of his tea house is built, but still needs to build the inside, 8 more rooms for a total of 10 rooms. I gave him the money that I said I would from the fund raising and he was very greatful, and thanks everyone from the Cochrane club who came to the slide show.
This is a picture of my down suit that I had made in Kathmandu. I was unable to load the picture while in Kathmandu, so I have done it here today.

The next question is from Enrico from St. Edmund School who asks...Do you know anyone that has done this before? I do have several friends who have been on Everest, including Dawa. Everest is a difficult mountain to climb, and as I am told it is the mountain that decides if you will climb it or not. There will be many challenges along the way, and the weather is also very critical. The jet stream sits over top of Everest making it very windy at the top. It is only possible to climb when the jet stream moves, which typically happens for a few weeks in mid-May just before the monsoon hits.
I was talking with my guide last night and he told us that summiting is not the most important part of the climb, and it is for that reason this sport is called 'climbing' and not 'summitting'. What is most important is all the experiences that we have had that has brought us to where we are now, all the things that I have done, all the people that I have met because I am climbing Everest and all the experiences we will have on the mountain.
It is a long time until we attempt the summit, and until then we have to stay healthy, eat and drink properly, sleep when we can and stay mentally focused. Thanks to everyone for their positive comments, it is so helpful.

6 comments:

JStyles said...

Lucille, you look like the an orange snowman (woman). It's puffiness definitely tells me that you will be climbing in very cold, blustery weather. I have been following you on the Spot site. I was also amazed at all the Sherpas and that they have specialized roles like cooks and climbers etc. I had no idea. I would love to hear more about them. Still thinking of you everyday and it is so exciting to be there with you in spirit and blog. :-) Namaste and Hugs, Janie

Veronica said...

That is one sweet suit! It might even come in handy after the trek when you're shoveling snow from your driveway in Edmonton. :D

Sounds like you're having a great time, and glad to hear you're healthy and safe. Keep it up!

Roy Phillips said...

That suit will be perfect for shovelling snow when you get home!

Watching and thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

Hi from Red Deer! We are in the library figuring out how to follow your blog, spot...see spot run...see spot climb, seeing orange spots, too! Love your new suit, stay warm, Love Mom & Dad de B. Jo and Annette XOX

Don & Diane said...

Love the suite! You look like a toddler going out to play in the snow. Well, I guess you are. The grin is even better than the suite! ENJOY!

Don & Diane

Unknown said...

Bonjour je t'ai vu a la tele sur l'emission "C'est ca la vie". Moutaineering is a passion of mine too.I am really impressed with your training, dedication and commitment.I am considering Logan next year. You are an inspiration and would love to meet you and share moutaineering stories. My name is Claire, I live in Hinton close to the moutains.Good luck to you,all the best.