Cycling Across The Tibetan Plateau
Spring 2019

Where Lucille has been for the past 24 hours.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

More training....or am I just having fun??

Well, maybe a little of both. Last night I was told that Alan another WOK participant was going to pick me up at 0900 and that we were going up to the refuge...a hut on the top of Monte Baldo. Alan doesn't speak much English and although I can say yes, no, please and thank you in Italiano....it doesn't go very far in getting details about what is going to happen.
This morning we drove up a road for about 20 minutes then we stopped and met up with his friend who had a snow machine on a trailer. I went ahead and headed up the path, thankfully a few people with snow shoes were ahead of me breaking trail, otherwise I would have been half way to my knees!
Alan and his friend were going up to the refuge to help out the elderly couple that live there. The refuge is a hut where this couple serves food and drinks, and I think people can also stay there. Alan and a few others go up there to clear the snow, bring them what they need from town and bring down their garbage.
I hiked up for about 90 minutes, all the while it was snowing. It was getting deeper and deeper almost up to my knees, and I was wishing for my skis or even snow shoes, when the boys showed up on mono ski machines. I got on and got a ride for that last little bit to the refuge.
As we were warming up in the refuge and I'm trying to have a bit of conversation, a couple shows up. As it turns out they are also headed to Kilimanjaro, just a few days after us! They were very excited when they found out that we have a whole group that plans to paraglide off the summit.
So in the end I had a lovely hike, ate some fantastic spaghetti in the refuge, met some nice people oh and enjoyed some snow and sunshine. A perfect training day!!!



1 comment:

Claudia said...

You truly look like you are in your element Lucille! Keep it up.
Claudia