Cycling Across The Tibetan Plateau
Spring 2019

Where Lucille has been for the past 24 hours.

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Trekking from base camp to Namche

Hi everyone,
Yesterday was a great day of trekking from base camp back to Namche.  I left base camp a few hours before Domhnall and he had finished supper by the time I arrived in Namche but I had a great trek....taking in all the views that I likely won't be seeing again for a long time.
Supper last night was chicken sizzler which was so yummy after a long day on the trail and Domhnall's desert was a pastry wrapped, deep fried mars bar.....just what he needed to replenish the calorie deficit that he is in!!!  I must say that it looked really good as the chocolate was oozing all over his plate, and before I could ask for a bite it was all gone.
As for our plans, well we are sitting still for a day or two....not quite what we wanted but the weather is not co-operating for us to fly out of Lukla.  The planes have not flown for three days now, and who knows when they will be flying.  The problem is that Domhnall doesn't have a ticket, and mine is an open ended ticket, so since we are not scheduled, we are not even on the waiting list.  We just called Kathmandu to have us placed on the wait list....but don't know if that will work.  Stay tuned!  The other issue is that our airline only flies out of Kathmandu three times a week so it may be a little while before we can get home.
As for now we will spend an extra day here in Namche, a likely have a visit of the bakery and then the used book shop so that we can sit on the couches upstairs and read and drink tea all afternoon.....sounds like a good time to me.
From Domhnall - Lhotse trip was good. Really nice to see old friend and make some new ones. I made 1 1/2 attempts on the route and walked away yesterday under a still blue sky. Various general reasons and good lessons to learn. I was happy with the trip, my time on the mountain and the way my body responded to altitude. Looking forward to KTM and then home.

No comments: