Cycling Across The Tibetan Plateau
Spring 2019

Where Lucille has been for the past 24 hours.

Friday, March 26, 2010

Why do I want to Climb Mt. Everest?

I have been asked on many occasions and it is the one question asked by every school that is following my blog: why do I want to climb Mount Everest? The answer is certainly not as simple as just "because it is there". I will attempt to give you a bit of insight into my thoughts.

As many of you know I wrote a list of things that I wanted to accomplish during my life - bucket list if you will. It went like this:

1. Climb to the top of Mount Everest
2. Run the Boston Marathon
3. Have a career
4. Build a house in the woods without power or running water (!)
5. Hang glide
6. Own a motorcycle

Now these are not just items that I wanted to do once to tick off my list, but rather they have become a large part of my life. I have been running for most of my life, and back in the mid-70's when I wrote this list, Boston was the marathon to run. I have run the Vancouver Marathons twice, and as yet have failed to qualify to run the Boston Marathon, and my old knees won't stand up to training for another marathon.
I have spent the last 23 years on my career, and I have two fabulous jobs as a critical care nurse, one of which I frequently get asked by others when I am going to give it up so that they can have my job! Never, is of course the response.
I'll skip #4 because I live in the real world, the commute to work would be brutal...but trekking in Nepal comes pretty close to this.
I tried hang gliding, but turned to Paragliding instead; they are sister sports. I have been doing this for the past 16 years and really love it. And for the motorcycle, I love riding on the back of Ted's goldwing, and two years ago I took lessons and bought my own bike. I can't wait to get back in June and take her out.
What is the common thread? Most of these require training, effort, discipline and a certain amount of self reliance. The benefit of all of these activities is that I have a lot of good friends that I consider extended families related to each of them.
Now for Everest, well I have spent as much time in the mountains as I can over the past 4-5 years, learning as much as I can from anyone willing to teach me. It has been a great journey so far, but it's not over. Follow along as I make my way.

2 comments:

sharon laing said...

That is what I find the most impressive, Lucille, about your quest to climb Mt. Everest; your commitment and tenacity to training. It has inspired me to train better, more disciplined for my up coming Triathlon. I'll be thinking of you often over the next ten weeks.

Isabelle said...

Hi Lucille,

Wow, what an adventure you are on. Our grade 4/5 class is very inspired. We will be writing our own bucket list this week in class. Looking forward to following you on your journey. Only the Best!
Grade 4/5 class at Bastion Elementary in Salmon Arm.