Cycling Across The Tibetan Plateau
Spring 2019

Where Lucille has been for the past 24 hours.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Why do I want to climb Everest when it is so dangerous?

I wanted to thank everyone for all their positive comments. I feel like I could just fly to the summit with just your positive energy. As I go along I will be answering questions from school children before I left. Every school had one question that was the same, and that was why do I want to climb Everest? Check out the blog a few days ago for the answer.

Today's question is another good one I received from Dante who attends the St. Edmund school in Edmonton. Why do I want to climb Everest when it is so dangerous?

Although mountaineering is dangerous, Everest isn't the most dangerous mountain in the world, and many things are being done on the mountain to make it safer. It is similar to riding a bicycle. You do things to make it safer, such as not riding in busy traffic, wearing a helmet, having a bell, use of lights when it gets darker, wearing visible clothing so you can be seen, and most importantly you ride within your limits. It is the same thing with mountaineering. I have taken courses, I have experience climbing smaller mountains, I wear appropriate clothing to protect me from the wind and cold, I am going with a good guide and most importantly I will be climbing smart. This means that I will stay within my limits, listening to my body, resting when I need to, eating and drinking to keep my energy up and realizing that the summit is only the half way point.....I still need to have enough reserve energy to come back down safely.

I have trained very hard over the past years becoming as strong as I possibly can and I am also surrounded by strong men who have been there before and who are very knowledgeable mountaineers. There are fixed ropes on the mountain that I will clip into to prevent me from falling off on the steep sections. I have done everything I possibly can to prepare, but in the end it is the mountain that decides if I can climb her.

I hope that this answers your question.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You go Lucielle! I'm watching in awe every day and I am inspired.
Barb Q - Cochrane