Cycling Across The Tibetan Plateau
Spring 2019

Where Lucille has been for the past 24 hours.

Monday, April 1, 2019

Heading off to Nepal and Tibet


Hello Everyone, it’s time for another adventure.  After such a long and cold winter my thoughts turn to the mountains. This time it’s a new adventure - a cycling trip on the Tibetan plateau where I will view Everest from the North Side. I’m so excited about seeing Everest from this view as I will get to see the entire mountain. When viewing Everest from the south side – the Nepalese side, there are several tall mountains in front, so we only see just the very tip peeking out. From basecamp – Everest isn’t even visible at all, we have to climb part way up mountains across the valley to be able to see the peak. When viewing Everest from the Tibetan Plateau, there aren’t any mountains in front therefore we can see the entire mountain, and I just can’t wait for this view. I’ve seen many pictures, and I’ve even seen it on the IMAX screen – but nothing will compare to seeing it in person.

The adventure starts on April 18 when I fly to Kathmandu. After a day to arrange my permits I will fly into Lukla and hike into Everest basecamp on the south side – this will be my 4th time there. I’m using it as a way to acclimatize for the cycling trip, and also to spend a bit of time on my own. I’ve always wanted to do a solo trip – and this is just a small step towards that. The cycling trip starts back in Kathmandu on May 5th, and I will be home on June 1st. I will be carrying the SPOT once again so that I can be tracked – and the batteries shouldn’t freeze this time!!! Those of you who followed me on my Everest expedition understand – my batteries froze when I reached the balcony on my summit push, and there were many very worried friends and family. It didn’t help that I forgot to call on the satellite phone from the summit ….oooops! So follow along on my blog. I’m not sure how many photos I will be able to post but I will do my best.  There will not be much if any internet while in Tibet, but I will do my best to keep everyone updated as I can. 

No comments: