Cycling Across The Tibetan Plateau
Spring 2019

Where Lucille has been for the past 24 hours.

Friday, April 26, 2019

April 26 - Pheriche to Lobuche

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TED!!!!!  Which I was there to celebrate with you.

After a chocolate pancake for breakfast we headed off to Lobuche.  Cool in the morning, and any standing water is frozen.  We are now walking in the valley, with giants all around us.  We are now well above tree line, but I did see some beautiful little purple flowers peaking out under the rocks, for protection I'm guessing.

I was prepared for a 5 hour walk to Lobuche and was pleasantly surprised when it only took 3 1/2.  Yipppeeeee......less time under the hot sun.   Although we are walking in the valley, now we are crossing the moraines....more up and down.  Maybe Mike or Howie or Domhnall or anyone else can pipe in and explaine moraines.  The path is rocky and dusty.

When we arrived at the Everest memorials it was a bit emotional for me....but not long after we arrived, 10 mountain bikers arrived from base camp direction.  I told Dhane that I wanted to wait and see how the navigated the steep downhill we hand just climbed up.  Huge boulders in the path.  Well after 30 min two headed down on their bikes....the others carried them.  I have no idea how far they rode....but it may very well be a film at the Banff Film Festival this year or next.  Look for it!!!!

Dhane suggested a short hike which I reluctantly agreed to.  I'm feeling so tired, with a massive headache, but I got ready and off we went.

On our return I to of another half tab of diamox, tried to drink a bit and laid down for a nap.  If things don't improve then I might spend tomorrow here too.

Dinner was fun, met up with Nate that I met in Namche a few days ago, and Jenny and Nigel who have cycled unaided from Alaska to the top of South America.  They did it in stages, and it was 20 years ago....but impressive non the less.  They are trekking here on their own, no protect so carrying everything themselves.  Impressive.

After dinner, with lots of tea and the visiting the headache disappeared and stayed away!!!!  Yippeeeee.

The lodging in Lobuche is much more basic - and the food offering is simple.  I had Dal Bhat again tonight - but unlike a few days ago, there wasn't any carrots or any other vegetables.  Just the Dal - lentil soup and Bhat - rice.  Hot sauce adds a nice flavour.

I will be finding my bed early tonight as tomorrow is a big day.







Lobuche Elevation 4,940 m (16,207 ft)

No comments: