Cycling Across The Tibetan Plateau
Spring 2019

Where Lucille has been for the past 24 hours.

Thursday, April 25, 2019

April 25 - Rest Day in Pheriche

I woke up with quite a headache. Lots of reasons....altitude, lack of water I gave my water away to the sick girl yesterday, and partly due to the sun and wind.  I'm trying to stay covered up but it isn't easy.  

So for our rest day we went for a little hike, or so I thought.  3 hours and 800 meters later I finally said enough.   We were still about 30-45 min to the top, but I had enough.  So much for a rest day!  



Visiting a higher elevation and returning to rest helps with acclimatization.  Kind of putting your body on notice that you are still going higher and to keep that red blood cell production in high gear.

Tonight the the lodge is full, 30 clients plus guides and porters.  Quite a change from last night when we had the place to ourselves. I moved from the Everest Room to the Kantega room which is another special mountain to me.  

We had great views of Ama Dablam and Makalu.  

Ama Dablam which is know as one of the most beautiful peaks in the Himalayas.  From Wikipedia: Ama Dablam means "Mother's necklace"; the long ridges on each side like the arms of a mother (ama) protecting her child, and the hanging glacier thought of as the dablam, the traditional double-pendant containing pictures of the gods, worn by Sherpa women.



Another good day.  I headed to bed early to deal with the headache.  


Tomorrow Lobuche, then Gorak Shep - Basecamp - back to Gorak Shep.  And then....we will see how I feel. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope your headache is over and done with. You are such a trooper Lucille! I just shut down when I have a headache.
I’m thinking of you every day and look forward to hearing all your adventure details next time we see you! Sending my love your way.
-Laura