Cycling Across The Tibetan Plateau
Spring 2019

Where Lucille has been for the past 24 hours.

Monday, April 2, 2012

Food preparations



Here are a few pictures of what I have been doing today, the before and after pictures of dehydrating frozen veggies. These will be added to the soup mixes to make them more hearty. I also dehydrated some parmesan cheese for flavour.




This is some of the rest of the food that we will also be bringing.


Snacks on the top and the soups on the bottom. I think that of all the food that we are bringing that the snacks are the most important. The plan for the food is while we are on the mountain we will have oatmeal for breakfast, snacks for lunch on the days we are moving, then soup and possibly a dehydrated meal for supper.


After a good breakfast, usually all I need to keep going for a whole day is one chocolate bar, so we are bringing lots of chocolate and a few other sweets to keep up our glycogen stores while we are on the move. We never stop for a proper lunch, but rather take small bites while we continue moving until we reach where we want to go. Once we stop and get settled, then we brew up for a proper supper.


In addition to what is in the pictures, we will also be buying some dehydrated meals. Not sure how many to buy as I find that I am usually nauseated up on the mountain, and that all I can usaully tolerate is soup and a few pringles chips. These we will buy in Kathmandu along with some noodle soup. We plan on bringing 20 days of mountain food with us just in case we are weathered on the mountain, but in reality we hope to be using a lot less than this.


Now that the food seems to be under control, I will continue on with packing the clothing and gear necessary. In the next few days I should be able to figure out how many bags I will bringing with me, and how much extra we will be paying the airlines to transport all of this to Kathmandu. I can hardly wait!!!!

1 comment:

Jean-Michel said...

So exciting! I take it from the dehydrated veggies that you make your own meals. Any tips for the re-hydration?